Thursday, April 08, 2010

Rainy Day Fun!

The last few days have been rainy out so we've been stuck inside besides our walks to and from the school. I've noticed that the days the kids don't get outside to run around are really difficult for everyone! I decided to try an activity I had read about on this blog. There is a list of many rainy day projects that I'm sure the kids would love but we decided to try out the rice and beans activity first. It had great reviews and clean up was supposed to be not too bad what more could I ask for?
I didn't have any beans so we substituted with macaroni. The kids played for an hour and a half! I have never seen them play so long at one activity. They dumped rice from one bowl to another, and used funnels and cups to move it all around. As the mess grew I must admit I was near panic. I was really questioning the quick clean up part of the review. If there is one thing Gavin hates on the floor it is rice! he would never have done this activity with the kids and he would have been freaking out if he saw the mess. By the time the daycare kids got picked up to go home the mess in the kitchen was unbelievable and there was rice all the way to the front door!

Here are a couple of pictures - the beginning of chaos. I was too scared to put down the broom in the end to take any more pictures.



The kids had a great time and were kept entertained for a long time. In the end clean up was a breeze and only took about 20 minutes with the broom and a quick vacuum.We will definitely be doing this activity again!

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Sounds good, but... what exactly are you doing?

Ange said...

just dumping everything from one bowl to another and mixing it all up. the kids pretended to make "soup". Incredibly simple yet somehow they loved it :)