Monday, May 13, 2013

21 Months

Grasyon has been sleeping in his own crib overnight and during naps since friday! I am so proud of my little guy :) I knew it would be an adjustment (especially for mommy) but am surprised by how easily he transitioned. We've tried him in his crib before by giving him his bottle and cuddling him to sleep. That  didn't go very well, he'd wake after an hour each time and so we basically quite trying. I knew he had to learn to fall asleep on his own, in order to stay asleep or put himself back to sleep in the crib, but
I honestly was so scared he'd stop sleeping through the night & I just didn't have the energy to put into sleep training him. Hey, when it took 14 months before he slept through the night even in our bed - could you blame me for not wanting to mess with his sleep?

Friday evening we gave him his bottle, cuddled him for a bit, said good night and put him in his crib. He cried for 45 minuted that first night. Gavin and I took turns every 5 minutes or so going in to console him. Each time his cry was less extreme and after 45 minutes was sleeping soundly in his crib. We were so surprised when he slept through the night the first night :) 

Saturday night was better. He was asleep after 30 minutes. He cried a little that evening but not as hard & we continued to go in and console him every 5 minutes. Again he slept through the night!

Sunday he went for nap with no crying and Sunday evening went to bed with no crying. In fact, when I checked on him at the 5 minute mark he was already asleep! 

I cherish the time we co-slept and am still a big fan of co-sleeping. It was his bed routine that wasn't working and the fact that he was napping & sleeping on the couch until we went to bed that was the main problem. It was starting to take him longer to fall asleep in the evening as well. 

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Way to go Grayson! Such a big boy!