Saturday, January 17, 2009

First Forever Family Day

One year ago today we had our Giving & Receiving ceremony in Hai Duong Vietnam. Those first nights were so difficult when we adopted Owen, I remember his grieving cry so well. There was nothing you could do to console him but let him cry it out. I've never heard such a sad baby. Plus he was suffering from bronchitis, an ear infection, a cold, & he was teething, he definitely put us to the parent test right away.

One year later he is a smiling, happy, energetic child. He has made such improvement with attachment. Of course there will be some long term attachment issues that surface periodically, but for the most part I think he is doing very well. We are amazed by how far he has come in the past year.

We made Owen's adoption video after we arrived home from Vietnam. I've shared it before, but it brings back so many memories from our first weeks together that I thought I'd share it again.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

LaLa said...

Happy Family Day!! I am so happy for you guys and glad he is HOME : )

Leslie & Shaune said...

happy anniversary day!!! has a year gone by already?!

Leslie

Jules and Danny said...

Happy Forever Family Day! It is hard to believe a whole year has already gone by?!?!?! And the video still makes me weepy.
Jules

Heather said...

Congrats on your 1st forever family day.We had our G&R ceremony about 10 weeks before you;It is such a special time.I wish I could relive that day over and over.The first year flies by fast.I love your video.Owen is so precious.

Heather- Mommy to Meliah and Khai 21 months born in Vietnam

Samantha said...

We LOVE this video... What a great idea to have yourselves opening the referral photos.