Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Junior Sports

Owen recently joined a junior sports program at our local community centre and although he fusses about going he has a great time once he's there. The program offers a different sport/activity each week, so far he's had a soccer class, floor hockey class and a gymnastics class. He really enjoyed the gymnastics class last week and the balance beam and trampoline were by far his favourite!

What I really like about the program is that it is non-parented and gives him the opportunity to gain independence and not have his mommy and daddy there all the time, he knows that we are waiting for him just outside of the gym. One thing I've noticed is that in the circle activities he is always sitting beside the instructor. I don't think it's something anyone else would notice as the program is only once a week, but I notice it. Hopefully that neediness eases up a bit and he feels more comfortable soon. I did notice that in the last class he didn't seem as clingy so hopefully that improves each week, but it certainly has me question what he'll be like in school. Hopefully he gains confidence and isn't clingy with his teacher! that's something I'll have to watch for. I am very proud that he doesn't seem the least bit shy and is always ready to answer questions that the instructor has even when most of the kids are just sitting there not saying anything!

Hopefully we can enroll him in a few more non-parented type programs prior to starting junior kindergarten in the fall, I think both him and I need that time to prepare ourselves for that day! Kindergarten feels like it's just around the corner even though I know it's still months away, I think it's because I registered Owen for JK on January 17th that it just seems too real now.

I won't be able to get many pictures of Owen in his junior sports class because we aren't allowed to stay inside the gym for very long during the class, but here are a few from the first day when he played floor hockey.



1 comment:

B said...

OMG...a year from now I will be registering Ben for JK? Tell me it isn't true. I can NOT handle it. Period.