Friday, February 20, 2009

Birth Story Continued




After we were sent home from the hospital monday afternoon, contractions intensified. I tried to relax & get some rest but the pain was getting too bad. We were timing the contractions using contraction master, my contractions were further apart then they had been. At approximately eight pm, the pain was making me feel sick so we decided to head back to the hospital.

At the hospital I was assessed again & found to be 5cm, dilated. Progress had been slow because the contractions were so far apart. We were told it was going to be a very long night & they expected delivery sometime the next day. We were admitted & taken to the birthing suite. Nurses explained pain relief options, & we decided on the epidural because of how long labour was expected. The anesthesiologist was called, & at 11:30 I had the epidural.

The Doctor broke my water after the epidural. Things progressed much faster after that. After a couple of hours of rest, I was checked again. I was found to be 10cm dilated at 2am. The nurse said she was going to prep. the room & we should call our families in to the hospital. My mom arrived at the hospital soon after.

I started pushing at 2:50 am. The nurse didn't expect me to have to push very long. After 37 minutes of pushing Noah was born!
Gavin told me that we had another boy. I was so happy!

The cord had been wrapped around his neck, so the Doctor quickly unravelled it, & cut the cord. He yelled for the nurse to resuscitate, but luckily after he was suctioned Noah was screaming on his own. His colour was nice & pink & I knew he was fine. Such a relief.

Gavin was able to cut the cord after Noah was suctioned.

2 comments:

Jules and Danny said...

Such a great story. It's a wonderful way to journal to remember years from now. Congratulations, you are so very lucky!
Jules

mam said...

Big congratulations to you and your newly expanded family!